Sunday, July 5, 2009

independence day in nepal

it consisted of:

1. dirk. the middle aged man who is "giving back" by way of microfinance after years of making ballet slippers with much financial success.

2. Gorkana (hotel) (resort) (5 Star something or other) with musical entertainment.

A. Kutumba: traditional nepali music or something. fantaaaaaaaaaaaastic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOiuNjnSIs8

B. The Yale Whiffenpoofs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR68wMg9ULs

To say there was a contrast between the two groups would be the understatement of at least this hour. I cannot watch the videos because I'm in an internet "cafe" where the computer's sound is not working. But, that is the only Kutumba video- so it will suffice. Last night, Jenny (my New School chum)nearly had an attack of the hysterical laughing sort while watching Midnight Train to Georgia, so I can only imagine it will be worth checking out. The dancing!

4. The National Anthem. swoon

5. Driving through 4 feet of water- an unexpected Duck Tour.

Overall: 5 Stars. Out of how many? I can't be sure. I am best at arbitrary point allocation.

Today I went for an impromptu jog. It was 900 degrees and I was wearing all black. I have not been running since May. I will attribute the sideways glances to the lack of other runners; I will attribute the burning in my lungs to pollution and altitude.

I NEED a cappucinno, please excuse me.

3 comments:

nuts said...

Perhaps they only run in Nepal when someone is chasing them.

Whitney said...

Nuts! this is a good point. if only i had my schwinn.

susan said...

wait one minute please...havent i told you that running can = death??? You need to get on the next plane home. This is ridiculous.
sincerely,
Sue