Monday, July 13, 2009

arbitrary point allotment in terms of great factor-- Part Dui

Beginning Friday Morning at seven, we (the New School comrades + some others) headed to Chitwan. Armed with worst case scenario images ironed into our brains we braced ourselves. (Please refer to the blog entry where I claimed to have slept with an African.) In real life, we were told that Chitwan would be Shitwan (f.u.n.n.y.)! But, I think you'll see there were some high scoring moments.

Just so you get it, this is what the basic premise of the trip was: Friday we would take the bus for a couple hours to a white water rafting start point, raft for ~3 hours, bus ride 3 more to Chitwan National Park where we would stay at Island Jungle Resort. Saturday we would rise to have an elephant ride to look at wild animals, followed by elephant bathing, a canoe ride, dinner, and local dance. Sunday we would eat breakfast and head to a Maoist People's Liberation Army Camp to ask questions and learn stuff. Then ride the bus some 6 or 7 hours back to Kathmandu.

And the points will be allocated ONLY to gerund phrases:

Falling on my ass attempting to get into the raft, a great start. [+4]

White Water Rafting: rough rapids [+15], weak rapids (snoooooooze fest '09 [-3]

Having to ride a canoe and walk 5 kms to the Island Jungle Resort, meaning total seclusion... [+5]

Having no night time electricity which meant no fan in 95 degree weather. [-8]

Waking at 530am only to be plopped onto the top of an elephant in a box with 3 other people whilst being hit by branches as the elephant marched through the jungle in the hopes of us being able to see wildlife, and then watching the "elephant driver" kick the 'phant and poke her in the ear with a sharp pick resulting in bleeding and my tearful protest. [-64]

Abstaining from bathing with elephants, so that one day, when someone says to me: "Oh! You were in Chitwan- did you bathe with the elephants like all the other white tourists who are in essence condoning the mistreatment of these majestic, innocent animals?!?!" I can say, "NO." [+65]

Sitting by the river reading about the Cultural Revolution in complete and utter silence while the others stomped through tall grass and muddy trails. [+10]

Asking REAL LIVE Maoists questions about their fight to obliterate oppression. [+16]

Alright, so that's the gist of the weekend. Points are never tallied because I can't do math. But I was pleasantly surprised at my acclimation to white water rafting (though I was touted for being the weakest link).

Currently, I am at a cafe instead of being at work- because get this: Work was canceled. But! No one told the white people. Viva Asia. (This is 100% earnest; I find it HIGH-larious.)

I just finished lunch and will soon go to get a massage. Life in Kathmandu is tough.

OH! And for your viewing enjoyment, here I am at the carnival (referenced in the last blog):

AHHHHHHHH! I am at a CARNival! OMFG. LOL.


I am artistically surrounded by a railroad entrance. (By the way, this is the dress I was wearing when the PERV next to me snapped a photog of my cleavage. I KNOW! It's not even impressive.)


Me & Jenny riding the Pirate Ship!! There was barbwire behind us, I do not know why. But I do know I was yelping. And having the best time. Ever.

Massage time, you'll excuse me, won't you?

4 comments:

nuts said...

Do the maoists know that Mao is dead and discredited do they know mj is dead

Trudie said...

I am glad you are enjoying yourself! Wish I was with you today. Maybe I can come by on the weekend?

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you said NO to the bath. Poor elephants. Heading to your hometown this week. You will be greatly missed.

J.Q.V. said...

http://www.fupenguin.com/2009/07/baby-rhinos-better-milk-it-while-they.html

I wish this was what we saw...