That said, I just had an interesting run in with some words. A deep penetration into word searching.
Saul (the father figure) sent me an article from WSJ mobile. This is a horrible website to receive links from as they inevitably never direct you straight to the article. But I was intrigued by this article especially because it had a word in the title that I did not know: Coruscating. (It was also a play on words... Coruscating on Thin Ice.)
ANYWAY.
When I tried to CLICK AND GO ("fucking go" as Lindsay sometimes hears people say) the link brought me to the homepage. There, on the page, was this article: Are Dictionaries Becoming Obsolete? I decided to read it because it seemed apropos since in 20 seconds I would be looking up a word for my own good: "coruscating."
I read and observed how the author took me through different online dictionaries. One of his last analyses came from the online dictionary "Wordnik." It managed to define the word he was interested in and I liked the homepage so I decided then and there to add it to my Bookmarks (right next to this awesome fucking link); I decided this would be my new online dictionary for when I'm trying to augment my pitiful vocabulary.
Then. It happened. I looked up "coruscating" and I even tried "coruscate" ...... but to no avail. Wordnik boasts 1.7 million words and my bitch ain't one.
I found the word, and just the way the author was suggesting is becoming the new wave of "dictionary." I simply googled "coruscating" and there were several different places for me to find the word- in fact I barely had to click on anything I just read through the 2 sentence summaries that Google gave me.
From Dictionary.com:
cor⋅us⋅cate [kawr-uh-skeyt, kor-]
–verb (used without object), -cat⋅ed, -cat⋅ing.
to emit vivid flashes of light; sparkle; scintillate; gleam.
Use it: Manhattan's coruscating buildings are best viewed from rooftop parties while dancing with Jaime to techno beats.
S'all good, I mean, I found the word and found something to blog about that doesn't directly link me to being a shallow idiot.
No comments:
Post a Comment